Insomnia can significantly affect people’s health. Traditional treatments for this condition often have plenty of side effects.
However, medical marijuana has recently become an alternative healing option for dealing with sleep disorders.
In this post, we are going to discuss the impact of cannabis on sleep and its possible advantages.
Clinical studies of the impact of medical marijuana on insomnia
Prominent scientists from the United States and the United Kingdom have recently conducted thorough clinical research.
In particular, they have studied all possible effects of medical marijuana on various sleep disorders. In one of them, researchers studied a group of individuals diagnosed with chronic insomnia.
They administered either cannabis or a placebo to the participants and monitored their sleep patterns using such objective measures as polysomnography and subjective measures as sleep questionnaires.
The results indicated that cannabis significantly improved sleep quality compared to the placebo, increased total sleep time, and decreased wakefulness.
In another research, doctors examined the effects of cannabis on rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. It is a stage of sleep connected with dreaming.
The researchers analyzed various studies that investigated the influence of cannabis on REM sleep duration, density, and other parameters.
The review revealed that cannabis use was constantly connected with reduced REM sleep.
Researchers have also recently explored the possible therapeutic effects of cannabidiol on sleep disorders.
They examined clinical studies investigating CBD’s use for insomnia, sleep apnea, and excessive daytime sleepiness.
The review highlighted CBD’s potential to improve sleep quality, increase sleep duration, and reduce sleep disturbances.
Cannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system
We have already emphasized that various sorts of medical marijuana include cannabinoids such as THC and CBD.
It was proven that they perfectly interrelate with the body`s endocannabinoid system. It is fundamental in normalizing physiological processes, such as the sleep-wake cycle.
THC has sedating effects, and it can improve sleep initiation.
According to the National Library of Medicine investigations, the consumption of THC weed can considerably lessen the time a person needs to fall asleep and boost total sleep duration.
However, THC may disrupt the normal sleep architecture by reducing REM sleep and increasing stage 3 and 4 non-REM sleep.
Alongside this, CBD has become famous for its possible healing effects on treating insomnia.
According to studies, CBD may have anxiety-reducing and pain-relieving properties, which could ultimately improve sleep quality.
CBD has been reported to reduce anxiety and insomnia symptoms in people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
Please, keep in mind that such vital factors as consumption method, dosage, and individual tolerance may influence the overall effects of medical marijuana on sleep.
To get more info about various sorts of medical marijuana and their influence on various health conditions, please, read the Hub420 UK Blog.
Benefits of medical cannabis for treating sleep disorders
Various sorts of medical marijuana can be beneficial for treating sleep disorders. Therefore, let us summarize the key advantages of using it.
- Sleep initiation: THC components in various medical cannabis can diminish the time an individual needs to fall asleep. It will be advantageous for people with insomnia, characterized by difficulty initiating sleep.
- Sleep maintenance: Medical cannabis can help people with sleep disorders characterized by frequent awakenings. In this case, THC can extend sleep duration and reduce the number of awakenings.
- Sleep quality: Consuming medical marijuana in small doses before bed can improve sleep quality, boost restfulness, and reduce sleep disturbances.
It should also be noted that extended use of medical marijuana can lead to addiction. As a result, people may need higher doses to achieve the same effects.
We should mention cognitive impairment and daytime sleepiness among the common side effects.
The best types of medical marijuana for treating insomnia
Different strains of medical cannabis contain diverse levels of cannabinoids, which impact their sleep-inducing properties.
However, not all marijuana herbs have the same effects on sleep. We have collected some of the best sorts of marijuana for medical purposes that help manage sleep disorders.
- Indica strains: They have significant relaxing effects, making these herbs suitable for sleep regulation. Indica herbs have a high amount of THC, considerably enhancing sleep properties. For this purpose, the most widely used sorts of Indica weed for regulating insomnia are Granddaddy Purple, Purple Punch, Bubba Kush, and Mendo Breath.
- Strains with terpinolene terpene: Terpinolene is a less common terpene found in marijuana. However, it has perfect relaxing effects. Such herbs high in terpinolene, such as Dutch Treat and Golden Pineapple, can treat insomnia symptoms in adults.
- High CBD strains: CBD has good therapeutic effects on sleep. Doctors often prescribe high CBD weed for people who want to avoid the psychoactive effects of THC while taking advantage of the possible sleep-enhancing properties of medical marijuana. For example, if you want to buy weed in Manchester for treating insomnia, you can pay attention to such sorts as ACDC, Charlotte’s Web, or Harlequin.
- Strains with linalool terpene: Linalool is a terpene in cannabis widely known for its remarkable relaxing properties. Moreover, this terpene is contained in lavender and is broadly recognized for its sleep-inducing effects. Marijuana strains with high levels of linalool, such as LA Confidential, Lavender, and Amnesia Haze, may help sleep well.
- Herbs that contain myrcene terpene: These are aromatic components contained in cannabis, which are responsible for its exceptional flavors. Myrcene is a terpene typically found in cannabis and known for its muscle-relaxant effects. Remedy, Grape Ape, 9 Pound Hammer, and Tangie are the most prevalent weeds of this sort.
Medical marijuana has plenty of positive healing options for people who suffer from insomnia.
The cannabinoids THC and CBD have already demonstrated outstanding effects on sleep initiation, sleep quality, and anxiety reduction.
Alongside this, before starting to consume medical cannabis for treating sleep disorders, it is better to consult with an experienced therapist.